2017 was a game-changer. So many wonderful things happened, too many to share. What I will share, however, are events that had a profound effect on me because often, the journey truly is more important than the destination.
- I received a CCI Artist Grant to build my writing business. Although it’s critical for artists to believe in ourselves, without external validation, receiving monetary support from an organization boosts morale. So grateful.
- I auditioned for and got rejected from the NBC TIPS program. I prepared my acting auditions for several weeks: memorized lines, developed characters, purchased props, received acting and vocal coaching. In prayer I sensed that I wouldn’t get it, but I felt that I still needed to give it all that I had. I did, and it felt good. Really good. I know what to do differently next time.
- I got some professional mentors. My entrepreneur-auntie mentored me throughout the year, and I just got a new mentor — a successful Hollywood producer who can help me navigate a career as a creative in a male-dominated industry.
- I wrote, wrote, wrote! I broke into eleven new publications in 2017 and published twenty-five articles. I continue to be grateful for the gift of writing. I am especially grateful for this essay published in EBONY.
- I booked a commercial and did lots of sketch comedy! Here's a link to my favorite one. (And while you're there, just go ahead and subscribe...)
- The most unexpected highlight of 2017 was co-producing a mini-documentary about my Grandpa Bobby and his new venture.
- Perhaps my favorite part of 2017 was being able to pray for people more often and more deeply. I hosted our first Black Women in Entertainment prayer gathering in August, and I love being able to pray for and with each of these ladies.
- The biggest game-changing moment of 2017 was when I began to see that Divine Destiny is mine, Now. Up until this year, my "destiny" had felt perpetually distant at times. Towards the end of 2017, this changed. Now I realize that it is here. It's been here. In 2018 you will see it more clearly too.
Happy New Year!
Which events of 2017 had a profound effect on you?