Fox’s Empire debuted last week. Here are my thoughts:
- “Yes!” to the volatile yet friendly relationship between Lucious Lyon (played by Terrance Howard) and his ex-wife Cookie (played by Taraji P. Henson).
- “Yes!” to Cookie’s ‘90s inspired urban chic fashion sense, including leopard suits & matching trench coats.
- “No!” to actor Jussie Smollett’s over dramatized vocal performances, (even though he’s sweet eye candy).
- “Yes!” to seeing non-rail thin women on TV (Gabby Sidibe), but “no!” to her bleached blonde hair.
- “Yes” to a plot that centers around brothers competing for their father’s empire. (No, it’s not original, but this father is dying, and told his sons that they have to compete against each other to lead his newly publicly owned company.)
- “No!” to what felt like less than stellar production quality.
- “No!” to the soap opera music inserted into the especially dramatic scenes, which created some Tyler Perry-esque moments.
- “I don’t know” to the show’s musical numbers.
Will Empire become “must see TV”? I don’t know, but I'll tune in again to see.